Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Position Opening: Assistant Pastor of Youth (full-time)
Church: Calvary Baptist Church in Windsor Locks, CT
Description of Church:
Calvary Baptist Church strives to be a healthy, gospel-driven, confessional church (New Hampshire Baptist Confession, 1833) committed to Christ-centered, expository preaching, and the Doctrines of Grace (i.e., the five points of Calvinism). The mission of Calvary Baptist Church is to lead others in Windsor Locks, North Hartford County, and beyond to faith in Christ and growth in Christlikeness for the glory and enjoyment of God.
The Assistant Pastor serves Calvary Baptist Church by providing oversight of the youth ministry, assisting the Senior Pastor in the planning and leading of worship services, and helping the Senior Pastor with various administrative, outreach, discipleship, and pastoral duties.
Character and Skills:
The ideal Assistant Pastor candidate will:
• Profess an unashamed faith in Jesus Christ, have a genuine and growing relationship with Christ, be teachable, and be an example of humble servanthood.
• Be a biblically-qualified pastor who will shepherd in a biblical manner (1 Tim. 3:1-7; 2 Tim. 2:15-16; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Pet. 5:1-3).
• Have a solid understanding of Scripture’s redemptive storyline and theology in general.
• Be well-organized and a creative thinker guided by God’s Word.
• Be able to relate well with a diversity of people: leadership, volunteers, various age groups, guests, and the surrounding community.
• Be competent at reading music and leading corporate singing. (The basics of songleading can be taught to one who does not currently have this skill. The ability to lead singing from either the piano or guitar is not required, but would be a desirable skill).
• Have a basic knowledge or willingness to learn audio and visual technology for worship services (e.g., Easyworship and Powerpoint).
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Work with the Senior Pastor and Choir Director in selecting songs and ordering the worship services.
• Recruit, develop, and organize volunteer instrumentalists and singers.
• Oversee the Audio/Visual volunteers.
• Lead the congregation in corporate singing.
• Assist the Senior Pastor in administrative duties (e.g., planning, assimilating new members into the ministries of the church, help train ministry leaders, etc.).
• Assist the Senior Pastor in pastoral duties (e.g., visitation, counseling, discipleship, etc.).
• Meet regularly with the Senior Pastor and attend other leadership meetings (e.g., deacons’ meetings, small group leaders’ meetings, etc.).
• Oversee the youth ministry by planning youth activities, recruiting volunteers, and supporting parents in the discipleship of their teens (7th – 12th grade).
• Teach in Sunday School (primarily teens, but perhaps adults on occasion as well).
• Preach to the congregation as determined by the Senior Pastor.
• Minimum Level of Education: A bachelor’s degree in music/worship studies or biblical/theological/ ministry studies (a master’s degree is preferred).
• Experience: A track-record of ministry (previous experience in youth and/or music ministry is desired).
• Family: Married.
• Subscribe to the church’s covenant and doctrinal statement.
• Provide sufficient character references.
• Pass a background check.
Time Commitment and Compensation:
• The Assistant Pastor is a full-time position (at least 40 hours per week).
• Compensation will be discussed during the interview process and determined based on the candidate’s abilities, experience, and education. In addition to a full-time salary, a parsonage is provided for the Assistant Pastor and his family, if he desires this housing option.
• Windsor Locks is a suburb of Hartford, CT.
• Church Website: www.calvarybaptistwindsorlocks.org.
If interested in this position, please email your doctrinal statement and philosophy of ministry statement (if available) along with your résumé to Pastor Duane Farley at [email protected]