Yankton, South Dakota
Overview of the Role of Pastor of Family Ministries:
The Pastor of Family Ministries will assist the Senior Pastor in the performance of his regular duties and
shall perform any other duties as usually pertain to the office of pastor. The Pastor of Family Ministries will serve as an Elder. The Pastor of Family Ministries will work in conjunction with the Senior Pastor, Board of Elders, and various ministry teams within the church to facilitate the spiritual growth of the congregation and to engage in outreach to the surrounding community.
Ministerial Job Duties:
• Prepare and deliver sermons on occasion
• Serve as a voting member of the Elder Board
• Have an active outreach in the community
• Encourage commitment to Discovery Church through membership
• Present sound biblical doctrine and the basics of what it means to be born again and to be
obedient to Christ.
• Encourage commitment to Christ and His church through baptism
• Utilize the Bible as the ultimate authority for the manner in which duties are conducted
Administrative Job Duties:
• Work jointly with the Senior Pastor, Elder Board, and ministry leaders to give a unified direction
to the programs of the church
Pastoral Job Duties:
• Provide pastoral leadership in family ministry
• Coordinate visitation, including hospital, shut-ins, visitors and other contacts as needed
• Coordinate and conduct biblical counseling as needed
• Provide pastoral care in times of bereavement, including oversight of the services as needed
• Provide services for weddings and premarital counseling as needed
Personal Job Duties:
• Maintain personal spiritual growth and that of his family
• Maintain accountability relationships through regularly scheduled meetings with a spiritual
mentor or select group of mentors
Other Related Items:
• He should prayerfully seek wisdom and direction regularly
• He will work primarily from his office at Discovery Church.
Knowledge, Skills, and General Requirements:
• Meet the scriptural qualifications as outline in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9
• 5+ years of pastoral experience preferred
• Be in agreement with the Mission, Vision and Core Values of Discovery Church
• Confidentiality – The requirements for this position requires an ability to keep information and
occurrences confidential, and yet the pastor must understand when something is to be reported
to governing authorities.
• Education – There are no minimum requirements for formal college, Bible school or seminary
training. Any certifications or degrees will be considered and reviewed for each applicant.
• Become a member of Discovery Church
• Well-developed communication skills, especially must have clear strengths in areas of Youth and
Send resume to [email protected]