Who we are:
Swan Lake Evangelical Free Church (EFCA) is a growing church with an average attendance of 150 in rural Cottonwood, Minnesota. We currently have one service, midweek programming for children and students during the school year, various adult ministries, and small groups that meet in the community throughout the week.
Our mission is to love God passionately by helping people find and follow Jesus Christ. As a result, our vision is to bring the hope and joy of the gospel to our neighbors through Gathering, Growing, and Going Together! We want all that we do to happen under the mindset: “Life Together!” You can learn more about our church and ministries by visiting: swanlakechurch.org. We are seeking a full-time Associate Pastor to Students to join us in executing our mission and vision. To learn more about our community, visit: cityofcottonwoodmn.com.
The Associate Pastor to Students will shepherd students and their families while providing general pastoral leadership to our congregation in conjunction with staff and elders.
By virtue of their training, qualifications, and call to ministry, the Associate Pastor to Students will contribute appreciably to the insight and vision of the Senior Pastor and Elder Board, as well as represent the church at large in the various communities we serve.
The Associate Pastor can expect that:
He will spend the majority of his time in student and family ministry discipleship efforts and the remainder providing general pastoral leadership to our body and community. This balance will in large part be contingent upon the applicant’s skillset, gift mix, and passions.
The Senior Pastor and the Elders will want to invest in his maturity and pastoral development as well. By this we mean that we will provide regular mentoring and preaching opportunities, timely constructive feedback, and encouragement so he can continue growing (1 Tim. 2:2).
Students / Families:
- Champion and lead discipleship efforts for preschool through graduation (programs, mission trips, camps, retreats, special events, etc., consistent with philosophy of family ministry).
- Teach in various settings: youth group, small groups, and discipling/training other teachers.
- Lead, disciple, coach, train, and empower members of the Student Ministry (grades 7-12) and Children’s Ministry (preschool–6th grade) Teams.
- Continue refining our vision for and pursuit of family discipleship, ensuring that we are doing everything we can to equip all of our families to be the primary disciplers of their kids.
- Effectively organize, lead, equip, and empower various ministry teams so that we can multiply our disciple-making effectiveness (Eph. 4:11–16).
- Pastoral duties, as fits the needs of Swan Lake and the gifting and experience of this pastor (preaching, teaching, funerals, weddings, counseling, etc.).
- Demonstrate proactive leadership that reflects the mission, vision, and needs of Swan Lake.
- Provide assistance in planning and execution of weekly programming, special activities, or annual church wide ministry events or initiatives.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, monthly Elder meetings, and other meetings as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Pastor or Elders.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION:
A man who is a mature, growing disciple of Jesus Christ, and who clearly meets the biblical qualifications for an Elder found in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 (i.e., is truly Called, clearly manifests godly Character, and demonstrates the necessary Capacity to serve as an elder).
A man who is committed to the Bible as his sole authority for doctrine and everyday life.
A man who is not only a sound exegete, effective teacher, and gifted worship leader; but also, a man who is passionate about actively discipling, empowering, and equipping believers for service in the church (Eph. 4:11–12).
A man who is a proven team player, proactive peacemaker, humble, has a teachable spirit, and is a motivated self-starter.
A man who is able to connect with a broad range of individuals, students, and families with a passionate burden for ministry to shepherd the church.
A man who knows, wholeheartedly embraces, and upholds the distinctives and doctrine of the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA) and the mission and vision of Swan Lake (SLEFC).
A man who maintains proper balance between ministry and family life.
The Ideal Applicant has (though not necessary):
Completed a Bachelor’s degree in Bible, Ministry, Theology, or Worship (seminary a plus).
Demonstrated ability to faithfully exegete, teach, and apply God’s Word in youth settings.
Heart and passion to relationally pursue and disciple students with the gospel as a shepherd.
Demonstrated he is able to effectively lead a music team and able to lead a congregation in corporate worship with undistracting excellence.
Ability to read and transpose chord charts; proficiency in written music and theory preferred.
Ability to develop music team, teaching basic music skills and/or connecting them to external resources (videos, articles, websites).
Has technological experience with ProPresenter, Planning Center, and Igniter Media (or similar).
Is willing to pursue licensing and/or ordination in the EFCA in a timely manner.
He has previous ministry experience in a local church, preferably in a youth/family role. Has worked in unity with church Elders/Pastors, and honors their spiritual leadership, counsel, and accountability. He has demonstrated he is able to envision ministry opportunities, strategically plan and organize for implementation, and ultimately execute his plans.
EXPECTATIONS & COMPENSATION:
Hours per week: Approximately 45
Compensation: commensurate with experience; total package range: $40-50,000/year
We are hoping to have the position filled by Fall 2020.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Works closely with: Senior Pastor, Elders, Deacons, lay leaders, ministry teams, and congregation.
To apply, submit the following documents in PDF format to [email protected] no later than July 31.
A cover letter for this position.
A current picture of (1) you, and (2) you and your family (if married).
Social media links.
Your philosophy of ministry, to include family ministry (1-5 pages).