Perry, MI United States
Graham Church is a vibrant, evangelical church strategically located in south central Michigan, with the best of both town and country. We are in a quiet, rural setting between Perry and the city of Lansing (our state capital), and Michigan State University. Our gorgeous northern beaches and scenic vacation spots are just a few hours away.
We are a multi-staff church of lay elders, looking for a Senior Pastor to serve the church by preaching God’s Word, implementing the church’s vision, and ministry priorities. Our mission statement is “to glorify and enjoy God as we make and equip authentic disciples of Jesus.” This is rooted in the Lord’s Great Commission to win and build.
We are a non-denominational church, reformed in our theology of salvation by grace through faith and believer baptism. Our style of worship and ministry is “blended contemporary,” and rooted in biblical integrity with the rich theology of the gospel.
We have two Sunday morning services with an average attendance of 300-plus people (20 percent are children with a healthy proportion of young families). Our Associate Pastor, John Schlaack, has faithfully served us for 22 years and continues in this capacity.
We also have another open position for a third Pastor to lead our Youth Ministry (we welcome our new Senior Pastor’s input in this hiring decision for our ministry team).
The salary and benefits package for this position is commensurate with education and experience. For more on our beliefs, vision, and values please visit Graham Church’s website: https://grahamchurch.org/about/
Graham Church is seeking a full-time Senior Pastor to preach the Word of God and equip the saints for the work of ministry.
The Senior Pastor will be the primary teaching/preaching Pastor of the church and a ministry generalist, able to lead leaders and oversee the overall ministry of Graham Church. He must be able to preach, teach, and communicate clearly to provide pastoral care for the congregation. He must be “above reproach,” humble, teachable, and responsible in his affairs and leadership of the church. He must meet the qualifications of an elder as described in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9.
He should demonstrate competency in theology, gifted in building personal discipling relationships, possess the ability to execute biblical leadership principles and shepherd volunteers in the ministry, be a team-player with good interpersonal skills, a self-initiator, able to maintain balance in work and life, have personal integrity, and be a servant leader. Above all, he must be in love with Jesus Christ and His Great Commission.
• Ability to regularly teach and preach (expositional, biblically sound, engaging, effective, gospel-centered messages)
• Agreement with Graham Church’s theological position, core values, and significant distinctives
• Strong commitment to serve and pray for the health, maturity, worship, and spiritual vitality of the church as a model for others
• Relational skills with a desire and track record of working well with people and able to adapt to the needs of ministry to foster the purpose of the church
• Bible or ministry-related degree from an evangelical institution (preferably seminary)
• Competent general Bible knowledge, specifically in spiritual leadership and application of the gospel to daily life
• Demonstrated experience in leading small groups and developing teams
• At least five years of experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and deliver expositional, biblically sound, gospel-centered messages
• Preach the majority (~75%) of Sunday sermons and delegate the remainder
• Cast the vision for ministry
• Oversee all aspects of the ministry
• Conduct both Sunday morning services
• Care for the spiritual needs of church members, including counseling
• Minister communion, baptisms, weddings, and funerals
• Direct the order of worship services in collaboration with the Worship Team Leader to ensure our services glorify God and edify the saints
• Lead weekly staff meetings
• Be available for office hours
• Be active in intercessory prayer
• Maintain a gospel-centered theological perspective in our outreach activities
• Ensure that all actions accomplish and further the mission, vision, and values of Graham Church (Worship Jesus, Follow Scripture, Love People, Live Generously, and Depend on Grace)
• Personally practice and lead his family in consistent rhythms of spiritual disciplines (Scripture intake, prayer, etc.)
• Attend and participate in the ministries of Graham Church with his family
• Adhere to the Statement of Faith and Constitution as established and approved by Graham Church
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not considered an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Ultimately the job is basically what the elder team and pastoral staff needs.
To some extent, this job will be crafted to fit the gift set and abilities of the individual pastor whom God brings to Graham Church, although certain job responsibilities such as regular preaching are indispensable.
Please submit resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Handout: Lead Pastor.pdf