Maple Grove, MN
Under the aid and authority of the Holy Spirit, and the elders of the church, and in partnership with the other leaders, the Pastor for Worship serves the local church by providing vision, leadership, oversight, care, and support, collaboratively with the Lead Pastor, elders, and other staff to further the advancement of faith and joy in Jesus for the members the church so that the church can together carry out our mission and priorities while embracing the theological teaching of the Elder Affirmation of Faith.
1. Provide collaborative vision, leadership, oversight, and support, with the Lead Pastor and elders, to further the advancement of Jesus-treasuring, disciple-making, gospel-centered church worship and celebration life.
2. Collaboratively develop and then oversee the public worship gatherings and music ministries at the church. Including collaboratively shaping and promoting a Christ-treasuring disciple-making theology of worship practice and program to advance the vision of the church. This includes but is not limited to:
a. The coordination, planning and leading of corporate Sunday morning services and other special occasions (Christmas, Easter, etc.), ensuring that the worship services are given direction, with sensitivity to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
b. Work with other staff members (paid and volunteer) to oversee the development of a spirit of worship and opportunities for members to use their gifts to worship Jesus. Examples are choirs, worship teams, worship promoting recordings, etc. and to communicate music/worship opportunities to the people of God.
3. Provide vision and leadership for the advancement of the faith of the body of Christ through corporate worship gatherings, and special events, electronically distributed worship-flaming tools.
a. Develop ministry toward the church mission and vision of a Jesus-treasuring disciple-making gospel-centered family of faith.
b. Collaborate with the other leaders and volunteers in an effort to advance the overall vision and effectiveness of the ministry.
c. Oversee the recruitment, training, and mobilization of volunteer leaders for ministry growth.
d. Direct in the formation and collaboration of committees or volunteers to oversee and implement worship ministries within the congregation.
4. Shepherd the worshipers of the church through:
a. Teaching the Word of God
b. Personal discipling relationship(s), modeling, training, and engagement
c. Engaging in Kingdom focused mentoring and mentee relationships
d. Developing and offering training opportunities
e. Counseling one-on-one
6. Partnering with the staff and the elders to coordinate ministry efforts to fulfill general duties as needed for congregational care (counseling, hospital visits, prayer, etc.)
7. Oversee and steward the respective Worship and budget.
1. The Pastor will carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the church from time to time.
Whole Church Aim:
To behold Jesus, as the greatest treasure, and in response labor to disciple the hearts and minds of others so that people will worship Him by:
1. Treasuring Christ through prayer, study and application of the Word, discipling, patience, and serving one another in love
2. Leading others to embrace the great assurance and hope of their identity in Jesus Christ, and to claim and enjoy satisfaction in Him
3. Modeling and encouraging the older men to be examples and teachers of the younger men
4. Developing, equipping, and resourcing disciples of Jesus to live as disciples who aim to glorify God through treasuring Christ and making disciples who make disciples
5. Partnering with other church staff and congregation to better carry out its Purpose, Vision, and Mission, and to embrace the theological teaching of the Elder Affirmation of Faith.
Qualifications & Requirements
1. The Pastor for Worship and Student Discipleship (Pastor) will meet the spiritual and character qualifications of Deacon as found in 1 Timothy 3:8–13 and must exhibit the fruit of the Spirit as found in Galatians 5:22.
2. The Pastor must be a man of humility, grace, prayer, and the Word, sensitive to what the Spirit is doing within the church body. He will devote herself to daily prayer and Bible reading for the sake of guarding herself from sin and stirring up his heart and mind to renewed passion for Christ; and he will gladly participate in mutual care and accountability with other believers.
3. The Pastor will seek to undertake his duties in the power of the Holy Spirit, undergirded with prayer, guided by the Scriptures, and manifesting the character of Christ for the glory of God.
4. The Pastor must be a member in good standing of the church or, if not a member when called to the church, become a member as soon as possible, ideally completing the membership process within three (3) months of the date his employment begins.
5. In addition to embracing Congregational Affirmation of Faith and Church Covenant (through membership), the Pastor must understand, endorse, and teach, without reservation, the church’s biblical and theological teaching as expressed in the church’s Elder Affirmation of Faith.
6. The Pastor will joyfully minister in accord with the Church’s Shepherding Covenant, in a manner that honors Christ and is a positive example to others.
7. While ensuring that his first loyalty is to God and the Word, the Pastor will support the leadership of the church generally and specifically to that of the elders and the Lead Pastor. The Pastor will strive to maintain positive and fruitful relationships with other employees, members, and leaders. While concerns or differences of opinion may arise, the Pastor will communicate in a biblical manner and abide by appropriate supervisory direction and any final determinations of the Elders. Whether leading his ministry or submitting to those in authority over him, the Pastor will do so in a joyful manner.
8. The Pastor will have the vision and organizational skills necessary to work effectively within the context of a church body.
9. The Pastor will strictly maintain appropriate confidentiality according to the guidelines set forth in church’s Employee Handbook.
10. The Pastor must sign our Employee Handbook Acknowledgement Form and must comply with all applicable church policies.
1. Servant Leadership—the Pastor should be able to lead in a variety of contexts (individual, small groups, large groups) in such a way that Jesus Christ and his gospel are central. He should be a self-starter and take initiative. He should be wise and discerning and know when to be decisive, sensitive, tender, and firm.
2. Relational—the Pastor should have a heart to care for people. That drive should manifest itself in the appropriate use of time in caring for those in his care.
3. Administrative—while seeking mainly to shepherd women and influence the body in gospel proclamation and living, the Pastor should have the skill set and ability to effectively manage the various administrative tasks associated with the position.
4. Teaching/Equipping—the Pastor should be a fruitful, biblical teacher. His teaching should effectively “equip the saints for the work of the ministry.”
5. Communication—the Pastor should be able to communicate clearly, concisely, and in a loving and biblical manner.
6. Peacemaking—the Pastor should be able to tactfully and winsomely unite people with varying perspectives to advance harmony and love, and to achieve common goals.
Music Leadership Skills
1. Compelling, gifted public worship leader and communicator with a blend of humility and zeal.
2. Preferred – Pastoral experience in the field of worship leadership.
3. Be a man whose authentic, contagious worship leadership flows out of his personal worshipping/devotional life.
4. Demonstrate openness and sensitivity to God’s leading during worship.
5. A man who is able to theologically discern appropriate lyrics and music styles that support the Biblical message and aim of Living Hope Church.
Handout: Pastor for Worship.pdf