For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. —2 Corinthians 4:6-7
These verses came to me as I looked back at the recent board meeting and considered God’s work and kindness toward Bethlehem College and Seminary since I last wrote in February about ‘Letting Our Light Shine’. I see God’s light shining brightly in many ways, and His surpassing power. We as trustees, faculty, staff, and students are jars of clay—earthen vessels made of common materials, fashioned typically for utility—sometimes with a crack, a chip, a broken handle, and oftentimes worn ornamentation (if any at all)—and yet what a treasure we hold! God is at work at Bethlehem College and Seminary—within our students, donors, faculty, staff, trustees, and friends. This is God shining forth and showing His surpassing power! Here are a few examples:
- The recent commencement of Bethlehem College and Seminary graduates—both here in the U.S. and in Cameroon.
- The generosity of those giving to Bethlehem College and Seminary—we finished this recent school year in a much better position financially than was originally forecast.
- The brotherly love and grace between former President Joe Rigney and Bethlehem College and Seminary as Joe resigned from his position.
- Brian Tabb’s willingness and excellence in serving as Interim President after Joe resigned.
- Some ‘green shoots’ that are beginning to appear as Jason Abell and the staff sharpen admissions recruiting efforts.
- The successful first meeting of Bethlehem College and Seminary with our two members that oversee the school—Bethlehem Baptist Church and The North Church.
In this upcoming season, we look to God that He would graciously guide us in the following areas—please pray with us:
- That God would lead the school in our search for the next president.
- That He would prosper our recruiting efforts and bring more students to Bethlehem College and Seminary,
- That the start of the new school year would be met with fresh grace and renewed energy by faculty, staff, and students.
- For the trustees, as we appoint trustees to various committee assignments.
- That graduates of Bethlehem College and Seminary would be effective in their calling, wherever God has placed them.
- That those who pray and give to Bethlehem College and Seminary would continue to do so.
Thank you for your continued prayers and generosity toward Bethlehem College and Seminary,
Chairman, Board of Trustees