Algona, Iowa United States
Essential Job Functions
This ministry description outlines the primary job functions. The position may include other functions not specifically mentioned as the ministry develops over time.
The Associate Pastor will:
1. Oversee Christian Education and assimilation ministries.
2. Stay up-to-date on new assimilation, Christian Education and prayer strategies.
3. Select, equip and empower volunteers in ministry areas.
4. Develop, implement and maintain systems that better track the visitors, attendees and members of the church.
5. Work with Senior Pastor on Growth Group ministry.
6. Facilitate outreach opportunities.
7. Regular communication with leadership and volunteers that is consistent with the vision of the church.
8. Attend Advisory, and Christian Education meetings and weekly staff meetings-including submitting weekly report to Senior Pastor for
9. Provide ministry reports for monthly Advisory Board meetings and Quarterly and Annual Business meetings.
10. Promote positive public relations by being involved in the Algona Community.
11. Preach or teach Sunday mornings when needed.
12. Teach Sunday School
13. Fulfill other duties and responsibilities as directed by Senior Pastor.
Education and Experience
The Associate Pastor should:
1. Have a 4 year degree with a focus in Bible or Christian Ministry preferred. A degree in another field with sufficient experience would
also be considered. A seminary degree would be preferred but not required.
2. Have experience in enlisting, equipping and empowering leaders and volunteers in a church.
3. Have ministry and program experience in working with children, youth and adults.
The Associate Pastor should demonstrate the following qualifications:
1. Evidence of a strong, contagious, dynamic personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a life lived for His honor and glory, maintained
through Bible study, prayer and spiritual disciplines consistent with scripture.
2. Evidence of the growing qualifications of a pastor (overseer/elder in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1).
3. A solid knowledge of Scripture with the ability to apply it to the situations of life.
4. Life evidence of being a servant leader who is humble and willing to learn.
5. The ability to be a visionary self-starter combined with skills in delegation and supervision of others.
6. The ability to develop an idea into an active ministry.
7. Evidence of good organizational skills.
8. The ability to teach.
9. Have a compassionate heart for people and a desire to help them progress in their journey of faith in their relationship with God with
an attitude of grace.
10. Have strong interpersonal communication skills in large and small group settings.
11. The ability to meet new people and make them feel comfortable.
12. A theology and beliefs compatible with Grace Church.
13. A commitment to the leadership, vision, philosophy and strategy of Grace Church.
14. A commitment to the membership at Grace Church.
15. Have the skills and gifts that will help him minister to people through Worship, Prayer and Connecting. (Spiritual gifts that would be
helpful in this position are administration, leadership, encouragement, discernment and hospitality.)
16. Have a personality type that complements our Senior Pastor at Grace church.
Candidates must be willing to comply with a background check and drug test.
The Associate Pastor:
1. Will be accountable to and will report to the Senior Pastor and will establish a good working relationship with him, assisting him when
2. Will have the ability to be a positive team member in a multiple-staff church and will be committed to working cooperatively with
3. Will maintain a working relationship with the elder and CE Board.
4. Will work with other church ministries, as needed, to develop Worship, Prayer, family ministry and assimilation strategies and skills
for their areas of ministry.
5. Will receive the experience to grow in your ministry if there is a desire to be a Senior pastor
Information about Grace Church
How old is Grace Church, and where is it located?
Grace Church was founded in 1861, and is located at 1923 E. McGregor Street in Algona, Iowa.
What characterizes Grace Church?
• Affiliated with Converge Northcentral (regionally); part of Converge Worldwide (nationally).
• Thoroughly evangelical, but accepting differences of opinion on non-essential matters.
• Family-friendly church. Many activities for all age groups.
• Regular schedule entails two services, one at 8:00 a.m. and another at 10:30 a.m. We have Sunday School for all ages at 9:30 a.m. Sunday afternoon and evening growth groups meet periodically throughout the year.
• Wednesday activities include family suppers, adult Bible study, children’s programs, junior high and senior high youth group, and worship team practice.
• Adult ministries include Growth Groups (small groups), support groups, and periodic men’s and women’s activities and Bible studies.
• Most attendees are actively involved in some area of ministry within the church with a growing emphasis and interest in reaching out into the community.
• Sunday worship services attendance averages 230.
• Excellent music program with contemporary worship team. We have a strong worship leader with many years of experience.
• Missions-minded, with both domestic and international short-term teams. We are currently supporting 8 missionaries and mission agencies. Missions has been at the heart of Grace Church’s ministry throughout our history. Support for missions locally as well as abroad is demonstrated not only by financial aid but also by our members serving on mission trips and local service projects.
Paid staff includes:
• Pastoral Staff: FT Senior Pastor, FT Associate Pastor
• Worship Staff: PT Director of Worship Music
• Support Staff: PT Administrative Assistants, PT Custodians
Grace Church was organized in 1861. The church incorporated August 6, 1870 under the name “The Regular Baptist Church of Algona, Iowa”. The church name was changed to First Baptist Church in 1906 and in 2013 added the DBA of Grace Church.
The first church building and parsonage were completed at the corner of Harlan and McGregor Streets and dedicated in 1879. A larger structure was built at the same location and dedicated in 1893. In 1976, the current property was purchased and construction of the new building began in 1978. The three fourths completed structure was destroyed by a tornado in June of 1979 and reconstructed with completion in 1980. A large addition was completed in March of 2011 and the church foyer and sanctuary remodeled later that year.
Algona is a city of about 5,340 people and is the county seat of Kossuth County. Algona offers Midwestern living at its best with affordable housing, a strong business community, outstanding educational services, excellent health care and recreational opportunities. Grace Church’s 6.5 acre campus is adjacent to the Algona Family YMCA and includes ample room for future expansion and parking. Members of Grace come from Algona and several neighboring towns.
Email cover letter and resume to Senior Pastor Peter Talbot at [email protected]
1923 E McGregor Street
Algona, IA 50511