Vancouver, WA USA
Living Water Church is seeking a Lead Teaching Pastor to serve as an integral member of the Elder Team. Alongside fellow elders, the Lead Teaching Pastor is responsible for leading the execution of the church mission of forming passionate followers of Jesus by proclaiming the gospel of the glory of God. He preaches the Word of God weekly and oversees the church assimilation process, teaching and equipping ministries, biblical discipleship and counseling, and leadership development. The Lead Teaching Pastor also supervises staff responsible for communications, music, and production.
The Lead Teaching Pastor reports directly to the Elder Team.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Serve as a member of the Elder Team, participating in vision, mission, and strategy planning; organizational development projects; ministry planning; shepherding; and prayer
• Study, prepare, and preach weekly sermons (i.e., 40-45 per year) that are gospel-centered, expositional, doctrinally rich, reformed, and experiential
• Guard the doctrine of the church, including our basic beliefs and our theological distinctives as far as they agree with the Word of God
• Administer the ordinances of baptism and The Lord’s Supper
• Drive the vision, mission, and ministry strategies of Living Water Church
• Design, develop, and implement leadership training for new and existing ministry
leaders, deacons, and elders
• Design, develop, and implement an assimilation process that leads to membership,
ongoing discipleship in community, and joyful service and outreach
• Design, develop, and implement—along with fellow elders—an effective process for
general member care, discipleship, and biblical counseling
• Serve as a member of the Staff Team, participating in staff activities, e.g., weekly staff
meetings, after-action reviews, ministry planning, and daily staff prayer
• Supervise staff responsible for communications, music, and production
• Participate regularly in a Community Group either by attending or leading
• Perform other pastoral duties as required, e.g., prayer for the sick, weddings, funerals,
Education & Experience
• The Lead Teaching Pastor must be above reproach, meeting and maintaining the spiritual, personal, and character qualifications of an elder (1 Timothy 3:1–7; Titus 1:6–9) and must exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22)
• Minimum 5 years fulltime pastoral ministry
• Undergraduate degree required; a degree in a program or field related to biblical studies,
ministry leadership, etc. preferred
• Master of Divinity preferred
• Affirm the basic doctrinal positions outlined in the Living Water Church Member Affirmation of Faith (http://livingwaternw.com/beliefs)
• Substantially subscribe to the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith Competencies
• Servant Leadership. The Lead Teaching Pastor must be able to lead in a variety of contexts (individual, small groups, large groups) in such a way that Jesus Christ and the gospel are central. He must be a self-starter and take initiative. He must be wise and discerning and know when to be decisive, sensitive, tender, and firm.
• Relational. The Lead Teaching Pastor must have a heart to care for people. That drive should manifest itself in the appropriate use of time.
• Administrative. While seeking mainly to shepherd people, the Lead Teaching Pastor must also have the skills and ability to effectively manage the various administrative tasks associated with the position.
• Teaching & Equipping. The Lead Teaching Pastor must be a fruitful, biblical teacher and champion of the Living Water Church vision, mission, and strategy. His teaching should effectively “equip the saints for the work of the ministry.”
• Communication. The Lead Teaching Pastor must be able to communicate clearly, concisely, and in a loving and biblical manner.
• Peacemaking. The Lead Teaching Pastor must be able to tactfully and winsomely unite people with varying perspectives and opinions to advance harmony and love and to achieve common goals.
• Preaching. The Lead Teaching Pastor must be an effective preacher, able to rightly handle the Word of God and joyfully engage in gospel-centered, expositional, doctrinally rich, reformed, and experiential preaching.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resumé to [email protected], ATTN: Elders of Living Water Church.