Assistant Professor of Humanities and Theology
Brian conducted his doctoral research in Reformation Studies at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland under Reformation scholars, Andrew Pettegree and Jacqueline Rose. Brian’s research interests include the intersection of commonwealth ideology with evangelical theology and piety in the English Reformation, preaching, worship, and iconoclasm during the Reformation, charity and poor relief in early modern England, and the theology and history of Christian spirituality.
As a musician, Brian composes sacred choral anthems, many of which have been published. He has taught music courses and lessons at several institutions, and has served in several churches as worship leader and choral director.
Previously, Brian has taught history, logic, rhetoric, moral philosophy, and music at the University of St. Andrews, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and several classical schools. He loves to study and teach how the various disciplines of the humanities, including the “great books” of classical antiquity, interrelate with theology and how they all cohere in Christ.
Brian and his wife, Johanna, have been married since 2006, and God has blessed them with five children: Stefan, Olivia, Silas, Elliott, and Maisie. The family enjoys reading aloud together, traveling, and playing together in parks.
- B.Mus., Bob Jones University (Piano Performance)
- M.Mus., Bob Jones University (Piano Performance)
- M.A., Bob Jones University (Theology)
- M.Div., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., University of St. Andrews (History/Reformation Studies)
- Waiting on the Spirit of Promise: The Life and Theology of Suffering Of Abraham Cheare, with Michael Haykin (Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2014). Online.
- There is a Fountain (Forthcoming, Concordia House Publishing, 2017)
- I Know That My Redeemer Lives (Forthcoming, Concordia House Publishing, 2017)
- What Wondrous Love Is This (Forthcoming, Choristers Guild, 2017)
- Amazing Grace (Forthcoming, Choristers Guild, 2017)
- Jesus, Lover of My Soul (Choristers Guild, 2013). Online.
- Be Thou My Vision (Choristers Guild, 2017). Online.
- Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming (Choristers Guild, 2016). Online.
- Abide With Me (Choristers Guild, 2015). Online. MP3
- When I Survey the Wondrous Cross (Choristers Guild, 2015). Online. MP3
- O Come, Redeemer of the Earth (Choristers Guild, 2015). Online. MP3
- The Very Thought of Thee (Choristers Guild, 2014). Online. MP3