Brian Tabb came to Bethlehem in 2005 as a student, and has been a full-time faculty member since 2009. Brian teaches courses in hermeneutics, biblical languages, exegesis, and research, while overseeing academic programs at Bethlehem College & Seminary alongside Tom Steller. His research interests include the use of the OT in the NT, the Gospel of John, Acts, and Revelation. His Ph.D. thesis compared Jewish, Christian, and Roman perspectives on suffering. He also serves as managing editor for Themelios, published by The Gospel Coalition.
Brian is married to Kristin with three young children, and he serves as an elder at Bethlehem Baptist Church’s downtown campus. He enjoys reading good books, playing baseball and sledding with his kids, and cheering for the Minnesota Twins.
- B.A., Wheaton College Psychology (minor in Bible/Theology)
- M.A., Wheaton College Graduate School (Biblical Exegesis)
- M.A., Bethlehem College & Seminary (Biblical and Pastoral Studies)
- M.Th., Luther Theological Seminary (New Testament)
- Ph.D., London School of Theology (New Testament)
What Jesus Demands from the World: A Study Guide, with John Piper. Nashville: Lifeway, 2015.
Praying with Paul: A Study Guide for A Call to Spiritual Reformation, with D.A. Carson. Nashville: Lifeway, 2014.
“Is the Lukan Jesus a Martyr? A Critical Assessment of a Scholarly Consensus.” Catholic Biblical Quarterly 77.1 (2015): 280–301.
“Salvation, Spreading, and Suffering: God’s Unfolding Plan in Luke-Acts.” Journal for the Evangelical Theological Society 58.1 (2015): 43–61. Online.
“Editor’s Note.” Themelios 39.1 (2014): 8. Online.
“Editor’s Note: Engaging with Edwards: Essays on America’s Theologian.” Themelios 39.2 (2014): 223. Online.
“Jesus’s Thirst at the Cross: Irony and Intertextuality in John 19:28.” Evangelical Quarterly 85 (2013): 338–351.
“Johannine Fulfillment: Continuity and Escalation,” Bulletin for Biblical Research 21.4 (2011): 495–505.
Lexham Bible Dictionary, ed. John D. Barry (Logos, 2012). Articles contributed: “Deacon” and “Persecution in the Early Church.”
“Revelation,” in The NIV Zondervan Study Bible, ed. D. A. Carson (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2015).
Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary, ed. Tremper Longman III (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013).
“Consummation,” “General,” “Hymenaeus,” “Impotent,” “Increase,” “Interest,” “Inclusiveness,” “Innocence,” “Preparation Day,” “Occupation/Profession”
Review of C. Koester, Revelation: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. Them 40.1 (2015): 124–26. Online.
Review of A. Moore, Signs of Salvation: The Theme of Creation in John’s Gospel. RBL (May, 2015). Online.
Review of Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries on Accordance Bible Software. Them 39.3 (2014): 535–36. Online.
Review of Logos 5 Platinum. Themelios 39.1 (2014): 82–84. Online.
Review of D. Huffman, The Handy Guide to New Testament Greek. Themelios 39.1 (2014): 95–96. Online.
Review of M. Menken and S. Moyise, Genesis in the New Testament. Evangelical Quarterly 86.2 (2014): 174–77.
Review of Accordance 10, Ultimate Collection. Themelios 38.3 (2013): 453–55. Online.
Review of G. Beale, Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament. Themelios 38 (2013): 88–89. Online.
Review of A. Thompson, The Acts of the Risen Lord Jesus. Bulletin for Biblical Research 23.1 (2013): 126–28.
Review of J. A. Kelhoffer, Persecution, Persuasion and Power. Review of Biblical Literature (2012). Online.
Review of S. Walton et. al., Essays in Honour of Loveday C. A. Alexander. Themelios 37.1 (2012): 83–85. Online.
Review of B. Rosner and T. Burke, Paul as Missionary: Identity, Activity, Theology, and Practice, Themelios 36.3 (2011): 486–489.
Review of J. Williams, Maccabean Martyr Traditions in Paul’s Theology of Atonement, Themelios 36.1 (2011): 112-14.
Review of S. Bøe, Cross-Bearing in Luke, Bulletin for Biblical Research 21.3 (2011): 409–11.
Review of K. Matthews, Leviticus: Holy God, Holy People, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 53.4 (2010): 817-18. Online.
Review of E. Schnabel, Paul the Missionary: Realities, Strategies, and Methods, Themelios 35.2 (2010): 312-13.
Review of D. Garrett and J. DeRouchie, A Modern Grammar for Biblical Hebrew, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 52.4 (2009): 832-34. Online.
“Is the Lukan Jesus a “Martyr?” A Critical Assessment of a Scholarly Consensus.” Paper presented at the ETS Annual Meeting. Milwaukee, November 2012.
“Jesus’ Thirst at the Cross: Irony and Intertextuality in John 19:28.” Paper presented at the ETS Annual Meeting. Atlanta, November, 2010.
“Johannine Fulfillment Language.” Paper presented at the SBL Upper Midwest Meeting. Saint Paul, April, 2010.
- “The King on Trial.” Mark 15. Redeemer Bible Church. July, 2015.
- “Jesus the True Prophet and Returning King.” Mark 13. Redeemer Bible Church. May, 2015.
- “Timing Isn’t Everything.” Desiring God Blog. September, 2014.
- “Editor’s Note: Abraham, Our Father.” Them 40.1 (2015): 13. Online.
- “More Than an Afterthought: Six Reasons Jesus’s Ascension Matters.” Desiring God Blog. April, 2013. Online.
- “The Folly of Freedom and the Freedom of Faith.” Psalm 14. Village Church. September, 2012. Online.
- “Psalm 1: When Delight Overcomes Distraction.” Desiring God Blog. January, 2012. Online.
- “The Righteous and the Wicked.” Psalm 1. Bethlehem College & Seminary Chapel Message. August, 2011. Online.
- “The Aim of our Charge is Love.” 1 Timothy 1:5. Bethlehem College & Seminary Chapel Message. February, 2010. Online.