Academic Dean & Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
Brian Tabb has been a full-time faculty member since 2009. Brian oversees academic programs at Bethlehem College & Seminary and teaches courses in hermeneutics, biblical languages, exegesis, and research. His research interests include suffering, the use of the OT in the NT, Acts, and Revelation. He also serves as managing editor for Themelios, published by The Gospel Coalition.
Brian is married to Kristin, has four children, and serves as an elder at Bethlehem Baptist Church’s downtown campus. He enjoys reading good books, playing baseball and sledding with his kids, and cheering for the Minnesota Twins.
- B.A., Wheaton College (Psychology, minor in Bible/Theology)
- M.A., Wheaton College Graduate School (Biblical Exegesis)
- M.A., Bethlehem College & Seminary (Biblical and Pastoral Studies)
- M.Th., Luther Theological Seminary (New Testament)
- Ph.D., London School of Theology (New Testament)
Suffering in Ancient Worldview: Luke, Seneca, and 4 Maccabees in Dialogue. Library of New Testament Studies 569. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017.
1–2 Timothy and Titus: A 12-Week Study. Knowing the Bible. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2017. What Jesus Demands from the World: A Study Guide. Nashville: Lifeway, 2015.
What Jesus Demands from the World: A Study Guide, with John Piper. Nashville: Lifeway, 2015.
Praying with Paul: A Study Guide for A Call to Spiritual Reformation, with D.A. Carson. Nashville: Lifeway, 2014.
Articles and Chapters
“The Nature of True Worship: Reading Acts 17 with Seneca, Epistle 95.” in Paul and the Greco-Roman Philosophical Tradition. Edited by Joseph Dodson and Andrew W. Pitts. LNTS. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017.
“Paul and Seneca on Suffering.” Pages 88–108 in Paul and Seneca in Dialogue. Edited by David E. Briones and Joseph Dodson. Ancient Philosophical Commentary on the Pauline Writings. Leiden: Brill, 2017.
“Is the Lukan Jesus a Martyr? A Critical Assessment of a Scholarly Consensus.” Catholic Biblical Quarterly 77 (2015): 280–301.
“Salvation, Spreading, and Suffering: God’s Unfolding Plan in Luke-Acts.” Journal for the Evangelical Theological Society 58.1 (2015): 43–61. Online.
“Jesus’s Thirst at the Cross: Irony and Intertextuality in John 19:28.” Evangelical Quarterly 85 (2013): 338–351.
“Johannine Fulfillment: Continuity and Escalation,” Bulletin for Biblical Research 21 (2011): 495–505.
“Revelation.” in The NIV Zondervan Study Bible, Edited by D. A. Carson. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2015.
Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary, ed. Tremper Longman III (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013).
- “The King on Trial.” Mark 15. Redeemer Bible Church. July, 2015.
- “The Folly of Freedom and the Freedom of Faith.” Psalm 14. Village Church. September, 2012. Online.
- “The Righteous and the Wicked.” Psalm 1. Bethlehem College & Seminary Chapel Message. August, 2011. Online.
- “The Aim of our Charge is Love.” 1 Timothy 1:5. Bethlehem College & Seminary Chapel Message. February, 2010. Online.