Assistant Professor of New Testament and Biblical Theology
Jared serves as assistant professor of New Testament Theology and Biblical Theology at Bethlehem College and Seminary, a post he took up in 2020. Before coming to Bethlehem, Jared served as pastor for discipleship and pastoral-training at CrossWay Community Church (Bristol, WI) and assistant professor of New Testament at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary (Allen Park, MI). Jared received his Ph.D. in New Testament from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School under the supervision of D. A. Carson.
Jared loves teaching and preaching the Bible and training others to do the same. He loves thinking and talking about how the Bible fits together and how we fit into the Bible’s big story. Jared’s written articles and reviews for several publications and published three books, most recently Biblical Theology according to the Apostles: How the Earliest Christians Told Israel’s Story (IVP, 2020), a book he wrote with two of his childhood friends. He’s served on the editorial board for Themelios and Trinity Journal and is presently a member of ETS & IBR. Best of all, he’s been a Christian for 30 years, married to his best friend Charisse for nearly 20 years, and has been telling dad jokes for 15 years. Jared, Charisse, and their three children—Asher, Jude, and Haven—live in Arden Hills and attend Bethlehem’s North Campus.
- B.A., Bob Jones University (English)
- M.Div., Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (New Testament)
- Biblical Theology according to the Apostles: How the Earliest Christians Told Israel’s Story. Co-authored with Chris Bruno and Kevin McFadden. New Studies in Biblical Theology. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2020.
- Three Views on Israel and the Church in Romans 9–11. Co-edited with Andy Naselli. Viewpoints. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel, 2019.
- Psalm 110 and the Logic of Hebrews. Library of New Testament Studies 537. New York: T&T Clark, 2015.
- “2 Corinthians.” In Dictionary of the New Testament Use of the Old Testament. Edited by G. K. Beale, D. A. Carson, Benjamin L. Gladd, and Andrew David Naselli. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, forthcoming (~2023).
- “Can a Christian Fall Away? How to Hear the Warnings in Hebrews.” Desiring God, 14 May 2022.
- “What Does Paul Mean by ‘All Israel Will Be Saved’ in Romans 11:26?” The Gospel Coalition, 8 February 2021.
- “The Future of Ethnic Israel.” The Gospel Coalition, 10 September 2020.
- “The Relationship between Israel and the Church.” The Gospel Coalition, 24 March 2020.
- “John Davenant’s Dissertation on the Death of Christ: A Review Essay (with an Invitation).” Detroit Baptist Seminary Journal 21 (2016): 167–81.
- “The Origin of ΣΩΜΑ in Heb 10:5: Another Look at a Recent Proposal.” Trinity Journal 32 (Spring 2011): 19–29.
- “Once More: Quirinius’s Census.” Detroit Baptist Seminary Journal 14 (Fall 2009): 45–54.
- “Shared Intentions? Reflections on Inspiration and Interpretation in Light of Scripture’s Dual Authorship.” Themelios 33 (December 2008): 22–33.
Selected Sermons and Talks
- “Now I Will Show You the Truth (Daniel 11:2–20).” Bethlehem Baptist Church, 22 May 2022.
- “Why Does Jesus Speak in Parables (Matthew 13).” Calvary Community Church, 24 April 2022.
- “Kindness.” Bethlehem College and Seminary Chapel, 6 April 2022.
- “You Are Clean (John 15:3).” Bethlehem College and Seminary Chapel, 10 September 2021.
- “Same (Acts 11).” Bethlehem Baptist Church, 30 May 2021.