Associate Professor of New Testament
Dr. Greever has taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses since 2015. He previously served at Grand Canyon University as Associate Professor of New Testament and served as the department chair for the undergraduate Christian Studies program. He is also an ordained minister who formerly pastored Pleasant Home Baptist Church in Prague, Oklahoma, and is an active member of Trinity Bible Church in Phoenix.
He earned his Master of Divinity and Doctor of Philosophy degrees at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He wrote his doctoral dissertation on “The New Covenant in Ephesians” under the supervision of Dr. Thomas R. Schreiner. Greever is also a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University, where he received a Bachelor of Arts in Religion in 2005.
He is an accomplished scholar whose work has appeared in Tyndale Bulletin, The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology, Journal of Biblical and Theological Studies, Credo Magazine, Fides et Humilitas, and other publications.
Dr. Greever and his wife, Amelia, are the parents of four children.
- Ph.D. (New Testament Language, Literature, and Theology), The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Div., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY
- B.A. (Religion), Oklahoma Baptist University, Shawnee, OK
“The New Covenant in Ephesians” (Ph.D. diss., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, May 2014).
From Greek Exegesis to Sermon Outline: A Case Study from Ephesians. (Forthcoming)
Let Justice Roll Down: Towards a Theology of Social Justice, Joshua M. Greever and Justin McLendon, editors. (Forthcoming)
Ephesians and the Powers. Edited by John Frederick and Joshua M. Greever. Journal of Biblical and Theological Studies5.1 (2020).
Contributor to The Baker Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words. Edited by Tremper Longman III and Mark L. Strauss. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic (forthcoming).
Lexham Bible Dictionary. Edited by John D. Barry and Lazarus Wentz. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2014.
- “Call” (full entry)
- “Church” (full entry)
- “Peace” (full entry)
- “Phoebe” (full entry)
- “Tetragrammaton in the New Testament” (full entry)
- “The Typological Expectation of Psalm 68 and Its Application in Ephesians 4:8.” Tyndale Bulletin.
- “The Armor of God, the Gospel of Christ, and Standing Firm against the ‘Powers’ (Ephesians 6:10–20).” Journal of Biblical and Theological Studies 5.1 (2020): 72–89.
- “Conclusion: Ephesians and the Powers.” Journal of Biblical and Theological Studies 5.1 (2020): 156–58.
- “Was Paul a Universalist? Reading Texts in Context.” Credo Magazine 9.4 (December 2019). https://credomag.com/article/was-paul-a-universalist/.
- “What Does It Mean to Grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30)?” Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry 16.1 (2019): 27–40.
- Greever, Joshua and David Kotter. “Are Righteousness and Riches Necessarily at Odds?” Page 18 of Faith at Work: Economic Flourishing, Freedom to Create and Innovate: A Special Report Prepared by The Washington Times Advocacy Department and the Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics. October 7, 2016.
- “The Righteousness of God as ‘The Gate to Paradise’: A Review Article of the Righteousness of God by Charles Lee Irons.” Journal of Biblical and Theological Studies 1.1 (2016): 35–46.
- “The Nature of the New Covenant: A Case Study in Ephesians 2:11–22.” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 20.1 (2016): 73–89.
- “‘We are the Temple of the Living God’ (2 Corinthians 6:14–7:1): The New Covenant as the Fulfillment of God’s Promise of Presence.” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 19.3 (2015): 97–118.
- “Do Good Workers do ‘Good Works’? A Biblical Review of the Use of ἔργον καλόν and ἔργον ἀγαθόν in New Testament Marketplace Contexts.” The Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics (2015).
- “Between Paul and James: Faith and Works in 1 Clement 29.1–32.4.” Fides et Humilitas: The Journal of the Center for Ancient Christian Studies 2 (Summer 2015): 25–46.
- “Analyzing the Parable of the Good Samaritan.” A guest lecture to the students of Phoenix Seminary in Phoenix, Arizona (Spring 2020).
- “New Exodus, New Covenant, and New Temple: Paul’s Typological Use of Psalm 68:18 in Ephesians 4:8.” A paper presented at the 2019 Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in San Diego, California.
- “What Does It Mean to Grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30)?” A paper presented at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in Denver, Colorado.
- “Does the Parable of the Good Samaritan Teach Indiscriminate Neighbor Love?” A paper presented at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Moderator for Reformation 500 Conference at Grand Canyon University, Phoenix, Arizona, October 30, 2017.
- “The Gospel and Human Flourishing in Ephesians.” A paper presented at the 2017 Southeast Regional Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in Louisville, Kentucky.
- “Reexamining the Identity of the Two Witnesses in Revelation 11: An Argument for the Regenerate Church.” A paper presented at the 2016 Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in San Antonio, Texas.